For those of you that would rather not use redsn0w to jailbreak your device for whatever reason, iH8sn0w has released his jailbreak tool for 5.1, known as sn0wbreeze. This tool works by building a custom firmware, just like the “Custom IPSW” option in redsn0w. Note also that this is only available for Windows users, and that Mac users should just use redsn0w. Read on for directions.
You will need:
Sn0wbreeze 2.9.2 (Download)
Your device’s 5.1 firmware (Download)
The directions are the same as always.
Building the IPSW
1. Open Sn0wbreeze and click the blue arrow to go to the next screen.
2. Locate and select your 5.1 IPSW and click the next arrow.
3. Select the mode you want to run in. If you rely on a carrier unlock, you should select “Expert Mode”.
4. Choose the options you want. If you are unsure what they mean, don’t change anything. Click next.
5. Wait for Sn0wbreeze to create your custom IPSW.
6. Once it finishes, plug in your device and follow the on-screen directions to put your device in DFU mode.
Restoring in iTunes
7. Open iTunes, and Shift+click the “Restore” button when your device pops up.
8. Wait for iTunes to restore your device.
9. Use iH8sn0w’s iREB to boot into a tethered state. You will need to do this any time your device restarts.