With the release of the long awaited iOS 6.1, we are almost to the long awaited untethered jailbreak release that everyone has been waiting for. In the meantime, those with pre-A5 devices that are supported on iOS 6 can still jailbreak their devices tethered using the previous version of Redsn0w, 0.9.15b3. This jailbreak is only supported on the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod Touch 4G, but users of other devices will be receiving their jailbreak later this week.
Follow these steps to jailbreak your device on iOS 6.1.
- Download and Install RedSn0w 0.9.15b3 or higher. [Download Link]
- Download a copy of your device’s iOS 6.0 firmware. Note that because Redsn0w has not been updated for iOS 6.1 yet, it will not work with the newer firmware. Point Redsn0w to the 6.0 firmware instead, and it should work. [Download Link]
- Invoke DFU mode on your device, if you don’t know how to do this RedSn0w will walk you through it when needed.
- Open Redsn0w, navigate to: Extras>Select IPSW and select your iOS 6.0 (not iOS 6.1) firmware that you downloaded in step 2.
- Now navigate back to the home page of RedSn0w and click the ‘Jailbreak’ button. Let this to continue until boxes come up and check ‘Install Cydia’.
- Once done, your device will appear as if it has just booted. However Cydia will not be on your homepage. You now need to perform a tethered boot.
- Connect your device back up to your computer if you have disconnected it, and reopen RedSn0w if you closed it. Now place your device one again into DFU mode, and go to Extras>Select IPSW and select the same firmware that we did in the first step, it’s essentially the same process. Once RedSn0w has done it’s thing, select ‘Just Boot’ and when your device reloads it will have Cydia on it!